PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bill Vincent Bush Pilot
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2009, 17:14
skridlov

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I don't think this is the time, and probably not the place, to tell too many shaggy dog stories...

I wonder if there's anything in the book about Bill flying frisky sheep across Bass Strait? Some of them even arrived, I believe.
Or the unusually large number of spare spark-plugs he used to habitually carry in his overalls?
Or the number of his take-offs and landings on an average day during the Mutton Bird season?

Or the condition of Merv's "airstrip" at the Interview River - where I once landed with Bill carrying provisions: a couple of loaves, a case or two of beer, a (terrified) dog, a cat (in a sack in the pod) and two dozen cases of AN60 gelignite; we left the dets back at Smithton - even Billy wasn't that brave. The airstrip was just an E/W line of partly flattened buttongrass over which someone had run a D7 up and down a couple of times. The windsock was a fertiliser sack tied to a stripped gumtree. I have never known an aircraft decelerate so quickly.

As I said already he was our lifeline. In winter he used to break 44s of diesel down into smaller drums so that he could get two of them into the plane (one intact and one broken down). We would often leave a message on a logging channel and Bill would do an emergency shop for us. For the pittance he charged us we are all indebted to him.

When a fishing boat went missing and the weather was cr@p, it was usually Bill who they called to go out searching, no matter what kind of hard time the CAA was currently giving him.

A great guy, and possibly one of very few "old, bold" pilots.

That's enough from me for the moment. I could be making it all up anyway, that's what the internet's for isn't it?