PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 5th Jun 2009, 15:41
The_Scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on Joining the RAF as a WSO

Firstly, Hi. This is my first post and was hoping for some advice from any RAF personnel. Sorry if there has been a similar thread.

I've finished my GCSEs, going onto A-levels and i've always wanted to join the RAF as a Officer, in rotary or fixed wing as a pilot, however I cannot due to slight shortsightedness.

I then thought of joining as a WSO, something that I never really thought of, but it's similar to the role of a pilot, just without the control or flying of the aircraft (so not that similar really).

I posed this idea to my father (an ex Puma pilot) and he dismissed the idea very quickly saying WSOs were second class citizens compared to Pilots in the RAF and grey men who have a chip on their shoulder (his words, not mine).

I'm looking at the role as a alternative to being a Pilot and the start of a career as a officer in the RAF, I would like to work my way up the ranks maybe into Operations or having a command role.

What are peoples opinions of the job? Is being an Observer in the RN similar?

Thanks for any help.