PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight planning and thinking aloft done by perfect pilot
Old 5th Jun 2009, 14:27
bjornhall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I mean that if you'd have to make a list of things to go through while flying what would there be? What my list at the moment includes is basics (maintaining altitude and heading, trimming the plane), radio frequencies (com, nav, FIR, ATIS), navigation instruments (VOR, ADF, they won't let us use GPS... ), staying on the map, checklists, updating flight plan (estimating times and fuel consumption) and contacting ATC units. So going that list in my mind in sense of items in the list at the moment and near future. Is there something to be added to that list?
Great replies already, just some more items I think should be on such a list:

1) Scanning for traffic! That is where almost all one's visual attention should be IMHO; in the process, one also picks up the landmarks (and enjoys the view! ) Not sure if there is any traffic in Finland but might be good to look out just in case...

2) Monitor engine instruments

3) Monitor and re-evaluate progress. Is the weather changing? When following up my flight plan, do I see any disturbing trends? Is there a need to change my plans?

4) Think ahead. What is going to happen in the next 5 minutes, 10 minutes and 30 minutes? Are there any preparations I should do a this point?

It is becoming a rather long list, and that is my main point: I don't think "running through a list" is the way to go about this. There is far too much going on, some of which should be routine activities, some event-driven and some pro-active.

Going through a list focuses one's attention on the list; there might be less chance of missing items on the list, but there is a higher risk of missing what is not on the list.

Of course, JHMO, no more no less...