PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2009, 13:57
theamrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe as a result of our discussion, pilots will start clicking the autopilot off at altitude and get an idea of how it feels in the real airplane on a nice day. It's absurd, imho, for your first experience hand flying at FL350 to be on a dark and stormy night with half of the instruments not working and a flashlight clamped in your teeth.
I concur.

Thanks to the more Airbus avionics orientated guys for trying to make more sense of the ACARS messages for everyone.

If all speed displays are off by more than 16 kts and reliable ADR cannot be identified, switch ADR 1 and 2 off and fly pitch and N1 setting as per the 'Unreliable Speed Indication' paper checklist.

Question concerning Airbus FADEC:
Notwithstanding Safety Concerns warning, and given the earlier posts trying to explain the ACARS messages. I presume with no sign of degraded engine performance and no loss of engine indications, and that PFD flags concerned only airspeed (and possibly alt) – attitude reference was still available. I presume with A/TH disconnected – the throttles allow the setting of a specific n1(from the unreliable speed chart etc), subject to FADEC derived limits??
Also – do the FADEC units derive their main sensed data from their own dedicated sensors – or is some derived externally (ADIRU’s etc)?

p51guy - I think you are mistaken. The pitch/power tables are very rudimentary. When flying close to the coffin corner at altitude and in HEAVY turbulence, you don't stand a chance, not even if you're a stick & rudder ace.
With an unknown airspeed teetering between or exceeding beyond the upper and lower bounds of MMO and min manoeuvring !! And not everyone has the comparitive luxury of even a GPS derived ground speed which isn't dependent on a primary display.