PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trends in ground handling
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2009, 12:46
groundhand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dropline,

You miss the point.
What you are identifying is that people are not doing what thay are supposed to do - nearly all your points are check/chase items - add in either hand held or stand located access to DCS and you will struggle to justify the role IF everyone does as they are supposed to.

Splitting responsibility to overwing/underwing; loading TL responsible for underwing and for the vereification of the load; boarding agent responsible for overwing and for confirmation of boarding. Load planning and loadsheet provided by remote CLC facility and ACARS on aircraft. Service providers do what they are paid to do and why do you need a dispatcher?

Now, you may quote that at your airport etc. it would not work but that is not to say that, with the right structure, training etc. it could not work. It has and does work at some airports.

As an ex Dispatcher myself and then having moved up into management, I know that a good dispatcher can be worth their weight in gold however, I've also managed (on a temporary basis) operations where the disaptchers have been worse than useless (although they all thought that they were the Gods of the ramp - and Jorge, not too far from where I suspect you work) and super efficient operations with no dispatch function.

If I was starting up a new GH company with no history or employment baggage I would now not plan the Dispatch function into the company operating procedures - unless the client base were non ACARS.

Just one view point, not saying that it is the right one!
GH