PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight planning and thinking aloft done by perfect pilot
Old 5th Jun 2009, 10:53
anttimik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I try to elaborate a little and be more specific. I mean that if you'd have to make a list of things to go through while flying what would there be? What my list at the moment includes is basics (maintaining altitude and heading, trimming the plane), radio frequencies (com, nav, FIR, ATIS), navigation instruments (VOR, ADF, they won't let us use GPS... ), staying on the map, checklists, updating flight plan (estimating times and fuel consumption) and contacting ATC units. So going that list in my mind in sense of items in the list at the moment and near future. Is there something to be added to that list?

Also what I find difficult is evaluating the wind direction and velocity if it appears to differ from forecast. It becomes a problem when flight insctructor decides that we need to divert from course and I should estimate heading and time to the new destination.

Another thing is planning glides e.g. if you need to descend from 2500ft to 1300ft and try to evaluate time so that the intended altitude is reached in exact point. I guess it could be calculated with flight computer but the thought seems a bit impractical.