PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight planning and thinking aloft done by perfect pilot
Old 5th Jun 2009, 09:30
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PompeyPaul

The OP is in Finland but the two issues you mention don't have a "perfect" solution in the UK.

There are widely varying attitudes to who to call up next. In UK PPL training they teach you to callup everybody and their dog enroute. I call up only radar service capable units, and many others do that too. Outside the UK, there is usually not a distinction between a FIS and a "radar service" so if VFR touring you tend to call up the FIS region frequency shown on the map...

Reporting points are a perpetual hassle in VFR; you never know which one you are going to get and many are hard to spot. The best way is to print out the VFR plate / AIP entry for the departure / destination airports and learn the VRPs shown on that. It would be rare (and wrong) for ATC to assign one not shown on that, especially to a foreign visitor, but they do sometimes do it, in which case just say you cannot identify the VRP on your VFR area chart. VRPs are however notorious for being hard to find (easy for the locals, obviously) and I normally solve the VRP issue by flying with a GPS on which the VRPs are shown In the UK, VRPs usually have names like the absolutely classic "Nokia Factory". Outside the UK, they tend to have single letter names e.g. "S" and that one could be called "Sierra", "Point Sierra", "Sierra Point" or, if you go to La Rochelle the mad man who once worked there called it "Silver Point" which in hindsight is obvious but it wasn't at the time and the locals who heard the exchange didn't understand it either.

To me, the original question is very broad and I am not sure what to say. Flight planning procedures for VFR and IFR? One could write reams on that but specific questions are needed.