PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2009, 03:36
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lemurian, superb sleuthing work; Machaca, superb postings. I'll take a look in the AOM and other resources I have regarding these messages.

Some preliminary information on these messages:

I believe these are all ECAM warnings or cautions. Maintenance messages are termed "Category 3" and are not displayed to the crew but are sent to the airline maintenance group. All these messages would have been displayed on the lower ECAM.

The ATA System Chapter numbers are on the far left and also at the beginning of the text under the label "Libelle succint du message".

The following is a specific A330-200 MEL ATA Chapter list for referencing the systems from which these messages are generated. This is not the Master MEL but may be tailored to one or another airline. Some chapters are missing. However, no chapters referenced in the ACARS document under discussion are missing.

The first message for the flight is second from the bottom, (as Lemurian points out, the bottom two are from the previous flight, AF 444):

Example:
22 10/06 WRN WN0906010210 221002006AUTO FLT AP OFF 09-06-01 AF 447

This is an ECAM warning indicating that the autopilot is off. It is a red warning. It is standard that red warnings require immediate crew attention but the warning in and of itself does not indicate a serious problem.

Of immediate interest is the absence of any ATA Chapter 24, Electrical System messages.

For ATA 34 and ATA 27 items at 0210Z, "EFCS" is Electronic Flight Control System, and "AFS" is Auto Flight System. ATA "3411", as far as I can determine, is "AOA sensor" but I cannot determine what the numbers following "3411" mean - perhaps further details in the AF MEL, (since clarified below, thank you).

With reference to ATA 3410 "ADR Disagree" caution. The aircraft AOM states that:

...this caution is triggered by the PRIMs, when they only use 2 ADRs, and these 2 ADRs disagree. This may occur, when :
One ADR has already been selected OFF by the pilot, or

One ADR has been eliminated by the PRIM, without any caution, because it deviated from the others.

The procedure then is to check the airspeed on both PFDs, and on the standby airspeed indicator. If there is NO disagreement, there is an AOA discrepancy and if there is a discrepancy the ADR Check procedure is applied. The aircraft is in Alternate Law at this point.

Note: Following an ADR DISAGREE, detected by the PRIMs, ALTN law is latched. Resetting the PRIMs by using the pushbutton does not allow normal law recovery.

The ATA 34 message concerning the ISIS is followed by two zeros which generally means the fault is not specified, too general to specify or too numerous to specify. We cannot conclude anything from this information but the fact that there was a fault with the ISIS system. The same holds true with any ATA message where the fifth and sixth digits are zeros.

At times, the second to sixth digits do not match the documents I have referenced. Each airline may have it's own MEL sub-references, I don't know.

ATA 21 is the Air Conditioning Chapter. This last message is indicated as an ADVISORY level message, (appropriate text is pulsing bright/dim green on the lower ECAM. However, the "Typ" (type) of message is "WRN", (Warn). I have no means to interpret this. There is no indication of cabin pressure loss. That is all this message means - that there is no message.

There are no "Stall" warnings in the available messages.

WARNING:
While this information is more than has been available to date, it is not sufficient to surmise or conclude events. It is what it is and nothing more. Because this information was taken off a television news program and not the source documents themselves as provided by any authority, it may be incomplete, or partially or wholly incorrect.

ATA Chapters:

AIRCRAFT GENERAL
05 Time limits/Maintenance chks
06 Dimensions and areas
07 Lifting and shoring
08 Levelling and weighing
09 Towing and taxing
10 Parking and mooring, Storage and Return to Service
11 Placards and Markings
12 Servicing

AIRFRAME SYSTEMS
20 Std. practices-airframe
21 Air conditioning
22 Auto flight
23 Communications
24 Electrical power
25 Equip/furnishings
26 Fire protection
27 Flight controls
28 Fuel
29 Hydraulic power
30 Ice and rain protection
31 Indicating/Recording Systems
32 Landing gear
33 Lights
34 Navigation
35 Oxygen
36 Pneumatic
37 Vacuum
38 Water/waste
45 Onboard Maintenance Systems
46 Information Systems
49 Airbourne Auxiliary Power

STRUCTURE
51 Standard Practices and Structures
52 Doors
53 Fuselage
54 Nacelles/pylons
55 Stabilizers
56 Windows
57 Wings

POWER PLANT
70 Std. practices-engine
71 Power plant
72 Engine
73 Eng. fuel and control
74 Ignition
75 Air
76 Engine controls
77 Engine indicating
78 Exhaust
79 Oil
80 Starter

Last edited by PJ2; 5th Jun 2009 at 04:51.