PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - End of T T Williams annual "Flight Routings" book
Old 5th Jun 2009, 01:10
BYALPHAINDIA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sad, but true, "spotting" has been a dying past time for years now, and that along with the availability of information via the web has made the printed word ever less viable, year on year.

When I started spotting back in the late sixties, and then right through to the mid 1980s, the norn was to get on ones bike, head down to the 'drome and see what was there.

Today you see requests on spotter forums asking "what runway is in use"? For pity's sake, in my day if I hadn't got the nouse to find out which way the wind was blowing and make a valued judgement, I went down the airport and took a chance!!

it seems to me that in todays electronic information age a lot of the fun and anticipation has been taken out of the hobby.

I agree completely - They used to be about 9 of us who would share cars regularly to go to EMA, MAN etc.

But slowly the interest dropped off, As you have said times have certainly changed for the worse as we 2 well know!!

You can't beat a good day out with the 'Lads' and then ending the day over a few beers!!

I don't understand the Hobby anymore??

If the Hobby still exists??