PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France A330 accident
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2009, 19:58
Gergely Varju

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Genghis the Engineer
Also, there's a good chance of some residues that can indicate whether an explosive was present and if so which one.
While residues are present after an explosion and often they are the best evidence, numerous past events would shows three key facts.
  • Water can destroy the evidence
  • Evidence can get tainted in rescue operations
  • Traces of explosives can be present on an aircraft and can be unrelated to the accident.
TWA-800 investigation can show examples of all 3 claims, and for this reason I would look for other evidence first. Tear marks on fracture surface, fault tree analysis, etc. can help. Sequence of events can also help to rule out some possibilities, and for this reasons ACARS messages can be important.

Originally Posted by Silver Spur
Specific to the A330 200 operated by Air France, does anyone knows if the ACARS also transmit excessive G force experienced by the aircraft?
I would find it extremely unlikely to see any such ACARS messages. While ACARS messages are one of the few evidence that can be used in the accident investigation, ACARS isn't designed for this purpose.

Originally Posted by SeenItAll
My question (as an ignorant SLF) is this. Every hurricane season, the USAF and NOAA fly planes through the middle of these storms to gauge their strength, etc.
It is quite different to fly above the storms, and measure the pressure in the eye, if the whole staff on the plane is prepared for the worst, experience, trained, strapped in. And you can also say that the hurricane is different...