PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France A330 accident
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2009, 19:54
SpannerInTheWerks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst I don't want to be accused of added to unsubstantiated facts, I find it incredible that an experienced Air France Captain would knowingly fly into an area of CB activity - especially at cruising altitude.

With three pilots on board I presume one was a 'cruise pilot'.

Assuming route forecasts were obtained and that the weather radar was working the question has to arise as 'why did they enter an area of CB activity?'

Was the Captain in the flight deck or were the First and Second Officer in control at the time? If so was their relative inexperience an issue?

All speculation I'm afraid, but in common with all other pilots I can't imagine anyone knowingly flying directly into a known area of bad weather?

As for the 'bomb theory', the only possible (and wildly unsubstantiated) cause I can think of is a connection with the 'Brazilian Prince' who was aboard. Unfortunately this borders on fantasy and would prove that someone has watched too much TV (Airport 77?).

The 'reality' of the situation may be ill-advised entry into an area of CB activity.

If this is the case, then Air France will no doubt be awaiting the onslaught of claims from relatives of the victims.

Amongst all the speculation it has to be said that I can't imagine the pain and grief this accident has caused. Having flown the Atlantic as so many of us have, the prospect of a catastrophe of this nature is beyond belief.

SITW