PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2009, 18:36
regle

Rodger

22 and every one of them counted. Some of them should have counted as double but they were not that generous.They were.Hamburg, 23rd.July 43, Nuremburg, 10th. August, Milan,12th. August, Peenemunde, 17th.August, Leverkusen, 22nd. August, Berlin, 23rd. August, Nuremburg, 27th. August, Berlin,31st. August, Mannheim, 5th. Sept., Munich, 6th. Sept., Frankfurt, 4th. Oct.., Hannover, 8th. Oct., Kassel.,22nd. Oct. Dusseldorf., 3rd. Nov.,Cannes marshalling yards.,11th. Nov., Leverkusen.19th., Nov.,Berlin. 22nd. Nov., Stuttgart. 26th. Nov., Leipzig.3rd., Dec.,1943. Berlin. 20th.Jan. 1944 and finally Berlin ., 28th. Jan. 1944. I had started my tour on Oct. 27th.1942 with a daylight low level Mosquito raid on Antwerp Power station.
Much later on ,Mine laying and minor attacks on V1 and V2 sites were not counted as full Ops. During the attacks that I participitated in ,there must have been well over eight hundred ,four engined aircraft missing over the various targets. Each one with a minimum of seven crew members. I was a very,very lucky man. It did not matter how good a pilot you were . Well, it did matter, of course but luck played a huge factor...such as being in the first wave over Peenemunde. Probably the biggest bit was when the Me109 formated on me over Berlin on my very last "Op" as I was droppimng my bombs and pointed at his guns, shrugged his shoulders, saluted me and half rolled and dived away. I shall never forget that. Reg.

Last edited by regle; 5th Jun 2009 at 14:44. Reason: date error