PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing extended centreline
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2009, 17:09
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sequencing is a gotcha. We are able to use LNAV for non-precision approaches, which reduces workload as opposed to HDG/SEL, which is what we used to have to use! But, I have seen a pilot take radar vectors to the VOR/DME final approach track, only to hit LNAV with the active waypoint (extended final approach course) off behind the left wing....! Confusion reigned and we had a chat about it on the ground after using HDG/SEL. It just goes to show how easily SA can fail with a reliance on the automatics and a 'what's it doing now?' moment.

Another example of the sequencing is the DESIG departure off runway 23 at MAN, which is usually terminated with an easterly heading shortly after departure. This leaves the active waypoint behind you after a few minutes. I have seen (on a line check) unfamiliar pilots staying on this heading and their distance to go increasing, then 'Using Reserve Fuel' displayed in the scratch pad followed by much scratching of heads until someone spots it!

If you wanted to know how far from the runway and say it does not have an ILS/DME associated with it, why would not simply select the runway itself from the available runway selection on the Approach page? I must missing something here as this is a fairly simple procedure.
Yes I think you are missing something.

PP