PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2009, 15:24
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Cazatou:
Chugalug 2

In my time in the RAF, until I went on Terminal Leave, there were 764 Accidents (Cat 3 or Higher)…. Are you going to sort through all 764 of them?

You raise a very good point, caz...where to start? Given that self regulation is finally seen to be an illusion (aided by the row over Parliamentary Allowances) and a separate MAA and MAAIB is established, then the priority for it would surely be to prevent future accidents and to properly investigate those that it fails to prevent. As far as the latter is concerned it will need professional inspectors in charge of, rather than advising, investigations and access to all evidence and witnesses rather than those that the CoC deems fit. Quite revolutionary concepts I'll admit but they seem to work well enough in Civilian Aviation. As to your 764 BoI's etc caz, have you some reason to believe that any of them in particular need sorting, or is it simply all of them? When you have a situation where an Air Force needs an 800 year old civilian institution to tell them why their aircraft have crashed for reasons contrary to its own findings I take your point!