PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maintenance flight?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2009, 12:49
Speedbird48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skysurfer,

Taking your message as it is written I would question why you bought the thing?? This sounds, on the face of it, as an expensive bargain!!

You state that it is "N" registered. If so the "G" registration must have been cancelled, and should be painted out, as the cancellation paperwork would have been needed by the FAA folks in Oklahoma before they issued the "N" number.

That means that the ferry on UK regulations, which are quite easy, is out. You need a US Ferry permit and then the UK CAA will be involved in a Special Flight Permit for a foreign aircraft to fly in their airspace without a full Airworthiness certificate, to get it to the maintenance facility. The US Ferry Permit will have to be applied for by a US certified A&P mechanic. The FAA has an office staffed by maintenance types at Heathrow just North of the Bath Road. They may or may not be of help as I have heard that they will always refer you to a Designated Airworthiness Representative and he will charge you a feee.

It is possible that the FAA will require all Airworthiness Directives and Service Bulletins to be complied with prior to the Ferry Permit issue so although the prop' does not need overhaul under FAR Part 91 for private use it will have to be done before flight??

I hope the maintenance facility that you intend to use has a US certified A&P/IA on its staff or is an FAA approved organization??

Sorry to be so negative, but if the regulations are applied as written you seem to have a problem.

Speedbird 48.