PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My Story!
Thread: My Story!
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2009, 11:24
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some interesting thoughtful replies. People, pilots I know sometimes slag off PPRuNe as too being negative. It's interesting that many are quite young and not yet working pilots. But I feel they sometimes confuse negativity and reality. Because reality is a long way from the dream. In PPRuNe people tell it like it is.

I had the dream long enough, God knows I pursued it relentlessly to the detriment of the rest of my life, career, relationships and financial security. When it seemed to slip from my grasp at one stage. I was almost depressed. I say 'almost' because by nature I'm an optimist.

But now I'm a working pilot, not in an airline though. In truth I never really fancied being an airline pilot, still don't, if truth be told. I wanted to fly, just fly, preferably in the military, preferably supersonic jet fighters. It never happened of course. C'est la vie! I'm paid to fly now and found like everyone else who ever found work as a pilot that it's just a job. A job I enjoy though but just a job. There are moments which no other job can provide, moments of exhilaration, beauty, fear. You see things few others ever see. Every now and then I lose focus on the job in hand, look around and think 'Wow, someone is paying me to do this.'

But as often as not. I just want to go home. I actually turn down opportunities to fly for fun rather than money. I don't need the hours anymore and the thought of paying for a flight fills me with horror. Yet it was not so long ago that I would have leapt at the chance.

Despite all, I still love flying, but I do believe the love is waning. I don't like the way it takes me away from my family for days at a time and for the fact that it simply doesn't pay enough to be any form of long term committment. In fact the money is barely adequate and isn't guaranteed.

In effect the job is a luxury, an indulgence. You might argue, 'Leave get a different job. Leave it for those of us hungry pilots who will appreciate it'. The answer is: I cannot, because like so many pilots there is no other job to go to. It's all I know. I don't have any other qualifications. Plus I'd miss it. I am making plans to quietly disengage from flying over the next few years. Ease out of the job. Part time Instructing perhaps, to keep in touch and earn some money. That might change of course, the old airline job might just appear on the horizon and force me into the right hand seat. Fate likes to play ironic games. Nothing is written in stone.

So what would be my advice? Don't become a Dentist because your parents want you to or because it's a good steady job. Do it because it interests you. It doesn't preclude flying though. One Dentist I know, is a highly successful aerobatic and display pilot, all no doubt paid for by his dental practice. I don't know if he ever had ambitions of becoming an airline pilot but I'm almost sure he wouldn't want to now.

Find something you would like to do, train for it. It's your backup career. Meanwhile continue flying. One day you'll be qualified enough to get the coveted airline job. Take it. If the magic wears off like it seems to for many people. Then go back to the other profession you like. Don't turn into a moaner and feel trapped as a pilot. Give yourself options.

We all only have one life but we don't have to do the same thing all your life.

Last edited by corsair; 4th Jun 2009 at 11:42.