PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France A330-200 missing
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2009, 05:07
Space Monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AGBagb, indeed I was going to post this, since I missed at first that the source was actually the head of the BEA.
He declared that "to his knowledge" there was no ACARS message about depressurization, but I would trust his knowledge, since he is at the head of the bureau responsible of the investigation, more than Le Point, which is a newspaper.
The point is: different ACARS messages are discussed here, but it seems to me that the only fact really confirmed by the BEA is that there were some ACARS messages. All the rest seems to come from newspapers. Do we really know that there was an ACARS about the autopilot being disconnected, what are the sources for that, beyond some journalist referring to unnamed sources?

Paul-Louis Arslanian also declared that the preliminary report shouldn't be expected before the end of June, and before that I would guess that the content of ACARS message will remaing pure speculation. Paul-Louis Arslanian also said that the current phase of investigation was consisting in sorting out the ACARS messages and working on their chronology - you wouldn't expect an investigation bureau to release details about some data they're still working on.

I also note that it was often reported that he said that "the flight recorders might be never retrieved" and many people use this citation as a way to feed conspiracy theories, but this was taken out of context. He said that there was no way to know for sure whether the flight recorders would ever be recovered, because no attempt has ever been made to find flight recorders at the potential depths found in this area. Quite a different statement.