PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France A330-200 missing
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2009, 02:18
Captain-Crunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical loss?

Good point "Lost in Saigon". "Catching the cabin" in say, a jet upset would indeed cause an unpleasant cabin vertical change down low. (Don't ask how I know.) (catching the cabin that is, not an upset!)

I was an early generation bus cpt (A300/310 some of the first of the long series of electric jets by bus.) The radars in the 90's we had were useless for a time in auto. A declutter mode of some type would see a huge red cell and erase all but the worst part. Several of us penetrated huge cells, so everybody started flying in manual until, a year later, a new "load" showed up, and the problem mysteriously disappeared. I object to the secrecy and stealth of aerospace companies, "finishing" the design in the field by slipping new software loads into the fleet without line pilot and union input. Just denoting a revision is not enough information in my opinion.

It was quite common for us to dispatch with an inop generator or APU. The big concern was that our APU's really weren't that great, so the specter of possibly tripping the yaw damper off was real in some scenarios.

This means that if the yaw damper cannot be regained, that, to avoid losing control in wicked dutch rolls, you had to descend and slow down pronto, or else go into combat with the roll spoilers to keep it right side up (not really a line pilot skill?) Not a nice thought threading a squall line at night after you've just been blinded by a huge flash. Could really put you in peril.

To A330 drivers: I know it's unlikely, but If both gens pop off the line due to a strike, do you have something analogous to our aux green system gen? (off of hydro) Will it cover buses for yaw damper and radar?

Thanks

Crunch

Last edited by Captain-Crunch; 4th Jun 2009 at 03:38. Reason: better verbage