PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cessna spin
Thread: cessna spin
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2002, 11:06
airball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cessna spin

Thank you all for your responses. The gist seems to be high-speed stall due to careless flight. Obviously not impossible; the surprise being that as mentioned similar manoeuvres have been completed with more severe factors and no adverse response.I had considered slip stream as often I hit it. again circumstances as they were it could have been the clinch if so supprising now and not previously or since in more critical conditions.
This just leaves the woodworms. It seems to me that the figures could be crunched in the same way for all types of A/C arriving at differing values for different types in the same circumstances. Is the 150 inherently more unstable than other training types, is there validity to the theory, better off with out flaps.
Since the incident I now fly the turns flapless with slightly increased speed, the logic being recovery from spin being more straight forward as despite loosing the benefits of reduced stall speed there is the opinion that disturbed air from flap extension could hinder rudder efficiency in recovery? I am not happy with this really as I would have thought better to have the extra few kts to play with than ( so long as the wood worm theory is inaccurate) ease of recovery should the mistake happen again.