PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding as alternative to Power
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2009, 19:22
shortstripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd forgotten what fun it was!

Had my first proper day's gliding for 14 years today and Wow! what fun!!!

I last soloed a glider in 1989 and last flew one in 1995 (except for a passenger flight last week). Today I turned up at Parham in time to help pull out the gliders, and the Falke SF25C motor glider. I always used to be the first on the field, but these days I have kids to drop off at school and other commitments. Anyway, first off, I went for a flight in the Falke to have a site check. I'm a current TMG pilot, but the T31m was a different beast altogether and used to climb ... unlike the poor old Falke that sort of slowly levitates! Anyway that bit went well and just a couple of circuits to prove I wasn't having a lucky day is all that's needed for a sign off. I then did a stint on the log, and before I knew it, it was my time to fly in a glider. They've changed a bit since I was flying them. Most of my gliding in the 80's was in fabric covered gliders such as K13's, so the modern glass ones were quite stunning in comparison (though I have to admit, I still love the older ones!). The launch was by aero tow, and was again the first since the 80's. I can't believe how well it went! No instructor intevention, but boy! was it taxing! I was sweating by the time we released at 2500'. Everything just seemed to fall into place, and I relly felt relaxed and in perfect control. I thought I'd been "enginalised" after all these years, but no! I really did feel at home .

My instructor has signed my old and very tatty log with a great comment saying that all I need are a couple of "eventuality" checks before re-solo! I think he's being gracious, and that I had a good day ... But hey! What a day!

If you've never flown gliders, or are thinking of returning .... I can't recommend it enough. I'd honestly forgotten what fun it was!!!!

SS