PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My Story!
Thread: My Story!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2009, 15:50
mikehammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sky Scrathcer,

Like Duir I qualified at a similar time post 9/11, it took until 18 months ago to get my first "proper" flying job (although I flew plenty of single pistons for anyone who would have me for aerial work along the way) with a small, mainly freight operator, on a turbo prop.

Management treat me like something they walked in, I see my wife once a month, and last year I got a pay increase followed by a pay cut this year. I take home about £1600 a month for my trouble, but put about 50 multi crew twin turbo prop hours in the book for free.

A day at work is easy now I know the ropes, the flying is challenging (no working automatic systems) and we are in the clag most of the day, but I know what I am doing and I work with a small group of experienced captains and I know what they expect of me. There is never a day when I sit looking at the clock wanting to go home (I mean crew accommodation - last month I was 4 nights in my own bed at my real home); in fact the time passes too quickly some days.

I have no pension, debts from about fifty grand's worth of training costs, an ageing car and my wife pays the mortgage, which hurts my pathetic male vanity. I am tired all the time and I stink of kerosene until I hit the shower.

I do it because I think the current climate won't last forever, and the only way is up, career wise that is, cheap jokes apart.

Question is how long will it take you to get your first job, and can you be bothered to work for a bottom feeder airline like mine on a noisy smelly turbo prop, although you may be "lucky" and swing a jet job with 250 hours and stomp up more cash for the rating? You're young enough, which puts time much more on your side.

If you want to be rich quick, or even at all, don't do it. If you want an unstable career where, even though the company is probably run by idiots, you still enjoy your actual job, do it, but don't expect a stable home life in the early to medium part of your working life.

As Duir says, your choice, and once you make it you will find decision after decision after decision waiting for you. Kinda exciting eh?