PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Low Fuel at LHR
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2002, 19:21
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Wiley.... .. .<<As for the respondent who says his company allows the second runway to be nominated down to Cat II conditions, all I can say is that the pilots in that airline quite obviously have hairier chests than I've got - or ever hope to have!!! >> Was me... but I have yet to meet a Capt who would go along with it. Most are happy to CAT 1 limits, me - I would say weather good enough to find the airfield without external assistance - somewhere between 500' & 1000' with good vis underneath.. .. .I think you hit the nail on the head above. Safety is not the fuel you depart with. It's what you do (the 'gates') as it runs out. The number of people who load fuel up before departure and state "safety" as the cause. Disagree. Its the same individuals who then seem not to know what to do as it runs short... If the company want you to take CFP fuel, then fine, but set realistic gates for diverting / emergency calls / "committing". Then if CFP is not enough, they will get hassle from CAA / ATC / Pax / Beancounters over the number of calls / diversions. .. .NoD