PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apple stuff - Mac, iPad, iphone
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2009, 13:40
Juud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After a few days of particularly heavy PPRuNing (me), my Viking has reached the limits of his endurance.
Not with the pruning itself, but with my continued "forcefull expressions of displeasure with everything Microsoft".
As he has also noted a distinct lack of forcefull expressions whenever I use the iBook, he exclaimed yesterday: "Go to the shop and buy us one of those bløødy iMacs puhleaeaeaease!!"
Since the Norwegian government, keen to have its citizens on-line, gives a jolly nice tax-break for buying a computer, getting an iMac will not in fact leave me with too bad a conscience about impact on the family economy.

Have read this thread start to finish, have delved into Mac forums, have spent 2 hours at the Apple shop with a young man patiently answering most of my questions and am about ready to order the iMac+Apple care.
Few last questions, hoping the resident Mac-heads will indulge me.
  • The mighty mouse gets very mixed reviews. Something wrong with its acceleration curve making it sluggish/too speedy and anti-intuitive according to some, while others swear by its functionality. Should I get a mighy mouse or a logitech top model instead?
  • Viking wants something so he can check/work with online work-generated Excel & Word documents. The online shop recommends Office for Mac, the chap in the shop touts iWork and Mac the Knife breaks a lance for NeoOffice. I am inclined to go for NeoOffice, but is it functional and familiar looking enough for an inveterate Windows user without a shred of computer patience and an aversion to anything new or unfamiliar?
  • I now again use Firefox as my default browser on the Dell, and plan to do same on the Mac. Since life is easier with 2 different browsers open at the same time, is there an easily installable adblock feature for Safari?
  • I have found the working with pictures option on the 4 year old iBook cumbersome. Uploading and picture editing I prefer doing on the PC. Has this improved with the iMac, is aperture a programme worth getting or are Gimp/iPhotobuddy better options?
  • Is the wireless timecapsule back-up machine as smart as it sounds and worth shelling out for?

If there is anything else you think I should think about, please post.
Thanks in advance.