PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Low Fuel at LHR
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2002, 09:13
Whiskery

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

There is sometimes a brief moment, when at the planning stages of a flight, the "what if" factor is considered. What distances the professional pilot from the amateur is the number of "what ifs" that get factored into the final fuel figure.. .. .Our Company fuel policy requires, at the planning stage, that a minimum of DEST to ALT plus 60 minutes FR should be in tanks on landing. If the destination does not require planning for an alternate, then the landing fuel may be reduced to not less than 60 minutes. Flights ex redispatch must plan to land with not less than 30 minutes FR. (which also happens to be the depressurised min. FR). .. .Now here's the catch - for destinations LHR and LAX, with exception ex redispatch, 60 minutes FR will be carried, plus any additional fuel the Commander deems necessary for holding.. .. .On a flight ex redispatch into LHR (or LAX) you never get to carry the additional fuel for holding. I am comfortable with 9000kgs TOD if the weather is fine and no holding. Even with a lap around good old Lambourne you should have around 5000 kgs on landing. Of course I prefer the usual 12000 +, but you occasionally have to earn your money in this industry.. .. .So now we come to the "what if" scenario. Well, there are so many that if one were to try and cover even half, you would be carrying full tanks everywhere. . .. .My final fuel figure on each flight reflects what I and my crew am comfortable with at destination or alternate. It takes into account weather, ATC requirements and aircraft performance. I confess I don't consider sudden runway closures, abnormal / emergency operations, flood or fire at the planning stage - it could ruin what started out to be a great day!. . . . <small>[ 13 March 2002, 05:22: Message edited by: Whiskery ]</small>