PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My Story!
Thread: My Story!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2009, 07:58
betpump5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skyscratcher,

For once this is a good post, articulate and well mannered so you have definitely grabbed my attention. However some parts of my reply will sound like a broken record to those who are familiar with my work!

Your biggest concern is ‘financial disaster’. Yet there does not need to be any disaster? Disaster is achieved by not making the right decision. So I would ask you – why go Integrated? And may I add 70K is absolute minimum. Add 25%, then some more, then factor in interest and you will find the cost circa 6 figures! What would your father make of that?

You are predicted 3 A’s. Why not get a degree and a well-paid job over the next 3-5 years that will at least allow you to save some money if you still wanted to go integrated, and be of minimal risk to your Father. Or, a more sensible route is to go modular! Is there anything wrong with the modular route? If you are in a “relatively” well paid job –with your grades £25K is not unrealistic – then you could pay as you fly and never once have to visit a bank!

Not forgetting you will also have the all so important life experience skills that many airlines are attracted to.

So I can’t see any problem. I said this before in a previous reply and I will say it again:

Anyone can afford to be a pilot.

So what are you waiting for? Rather than ask your dad for a car for your 18th, ask him to pay for a PPL which you can do over this summer between July-September. With 3 As, you may not even need a degree so you could find yourself a job as soon as possible. Why the rush to start flight training now?

In terms of working conditions, it doesn’t matter what industry you work in, there will always be these issues. When I was on the 742-F, I was paid significantly less than my colleagues flying passengers but I loved every second of it. I flew with pilots I considered friends after having known them just for a few weeks, and was treated as a valued employee by my bosses. – even though I had only just become unfrozen on the 732 before I moved to the 742F.

At 25, I realised “the dream” (yeah right) and moved onto the 744 with a hell of a pay rise and great T&Cs. Do I still enjoy it 4 years later?

As much as I enjoy watching paint dry….

Do not rush into this industry. Use your head. You may need it one day.