PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Low Fuel at LHR
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2002, 12:33
Wings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow points I would like to make.. .Point One.. .A colleague of mine was Flight Safety Officer in our company, an airline in South Eats Asia. He attended a meeting of the Orient Airlines Association Flight Safety Officers, where the "Loss of Face" problem was addressed. The actual topic was pilots continuing a 'bad' approach rather than 'suffering loss of face' and going around. When my friend suggested that how about, the next time a pilot elects to do a go around rather than push a bad approach, the airline makes a big thing of it, praising the pilot as a hero / super safe flyer etc. The other airlines would have nothing of it, suggesting that the pilot should never have got into a bad situation in the first place. These are the Flight Safety Officers, - fellow pilots who are meant to be on our side.. .The point I am trying to make is that the Loss of Face / Push on Itis culture is still very strong in a lot of airlines. If a Captain diverts, he knows men in suits sitting in a comfortable office weeks after, having had plenty of time and help to assess the situation will villify him because they calculated that IN THEORY he could have continued and landed legally. In this situation, a Captain who elects to divert is putting his job on the line.. .. .Point Two.. .Our airline is very lenient and allows us to put on extra fuel for any reasonable reason such as expected lower than planned flight levels, en route wx, destination wx, local knowledge - expect holding. . .Despite this great situation we still occasionally get caught out. Headwinds much stronger than forecast making you elect to fly at long range cruise, only to have ATC require you to either speed up or descend to a (un economical) flight level.. .The point I am making is that sometimes s**t happens. We are paid to make the right decisions in these situations. Assuming we make the right decisions, it is management's job to support us, helping to make our industry safe and in turn help improve profits. No one needs bad press whether it's us here on Pprune or in the newspapers. Whether it's a low fuel or a crash, we should be working to make the industry safer, and that includes management.