PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Is the worst of the Global Financial Crisis behind us?
Old 3rd Jun 2009, 04:47
DUXNUTZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well folks.

As usual the USA and Europe lead the rest of the world, Australia included.

This last month initial claims for unemployment have dropped from previous levels and the housing market is seeing signs of recovery, all be it small. The lady and myself recently put in an offer on a house and have been amazed at how quickly some places were selling. First time home buyers have been stimulating the market, spuured on by record low interest rates and govt grants.

From what people have been telling me, aviation is the first to feel the effects of a recession and the last to pull out of it. I work in the on-demand freight industry and from christmas onwards the amount of companies contracting for last minute express freight charters was basically nil. In the last few weeks we have seen a resurgance in interest which is surprising and hopefully a sign of better times ahead.

This weeks GM bankruptcy (auto parts from mexico is alot of our business) doesn't help but overall i see signs to be positive.

There are next to no aviation jobs going over here though....