PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Declared Conditions, calculating t/off & landing distances
Old 3rd Jun 2009, 02:56
john_tullamarine

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts
Edited by Tail Wheel

.. cheeky bugger !!

RadioSaigon,

they should be able to be reproduced electronically

Dead easy, the earlier calculation set was quite simple and you could set it up on a spreadsheet in five minutes, tops. However, I suggest that John F's memo be avoided as it is in a different league .. big equations ... and not really necessary for piston aeroplanes but pretty good for light turboprops.

if the calculations/factors used in producing the charts are still available/published somewhere

Internal DCA memo reports from a long time ago (head scratching here ... AF-43 ?) and you probably would have great trouble getting them from CASA due to all the staff changes and the fact that no-one uses them any more. I would guess that the only blokes in house who might have a copy of the old memo tucked away would be Nick C or Dave P.

However, apropos of nothing, I just happened to run across my file copies the other week so I'll dig the earlier memo out again during the next couple of weeks and post the basics for anyone who might be interested. The fudge factors came out of the old ANO (CAO) 101.22 which has long been consigned to the waste bin .. although chaps like me and DJPil still have copies tucked away in the bottom drawer of the filing cabinet somewhere ...

Would the fudge factors have been used predominantly to allow for the differing skill-sets of various pilots likely to operate the airframe, weighted towards the lower end of the scale?

Not really ... In the flight test side of things, we toss out "bad" results, even if we just don't like the way that that run went ... and then the aerodynamicist who analyses the stuff does likewise .... so the final dataset tends to be a bit on the optimistic side of things.

The aim is to have realistic factors incorporated into the published results so that there is a margin for the real world and the average pilot punter on the one hand .. but not so much of a margin that the numbers are held up to ridicule as being unrealistic and are ignored by the folk whom they are intended to help in day to day operations.