PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet Holding Pool
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2009, 00:28
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very hard to give an exact answer. Right now there are a pile of people going through the training system. I hear that the Sigma scheme (150hr self-financed line trainees from last year) has run into a snag to do with insurance/legality. Therefore CTC has adopted them in some way. The only pilots I therefore know of going through training right now are CTC cadets or pilots employed on the CTC flexi-scheme system.

There are signs that the 'roster optimiser' may not be as fantastic as originally thought and that we may yet end up with crew shortages over the summer - no doubt Titan et al will be delighted! There are a number of temporary commands being offered to current easyJet FOs - they get a £10k bonus but go back to the left seat for the winter with no guarantees about next summer.

The truth is that right now no one has the slightest clue about next winter or the summer beyond (2010). The western world is in financial meltdown and even Ryanair have posted a loss. Loathsome as they are, every airline in Europe will be alarmed at that. At this juncture we are looking like we will declare a profit come September, but I would not like to predict next year. Therefore recruitment is a massive unknown. No one at easyJet, or any other airline for that matter, really knows what demand is going to look like next year. All airlines make winter losses but everyone needs to minimise those as much as possible. My own feeling is that few, if any, of the current crop of trainees will be offered winter jobs. Alas, no one can tell you what recruitment will be like next year - there is not a single person at easyJet, from the CEO downwards, who could accurately answer that question right now.