PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Agusta AW139
Thread: Agusta AW139
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2009, 23:54
noooby

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Airwave 45,

If the GH pilots are not getting the aircraft started, and it is due to battery problems, then it is probably because they are faffing about like they do in the 412's. The 139 is power hungry and needs to have the pre-start checks done quickly to minimise power loss. Once you get the first donk started, you've got no worries. Of course, it could be ATC. When I was at GH there were times when the controllers would dick you around just because they could.
Best you get your pilots sorted out with taking off with pax still getting strapped in too. Isn't the forward left passenger on intercom? The facility is there in the cabin, use it, it is a great safety tool.
I wouldn't worry about the main rotor blades hitting you when the engines are running. The blades are VERY stiff and don't droop. They don't even droop when everything comes to a stop. Clearance at the front when running is a good 10ft. If a company runs a mixed fleet of 139's and 76's (which GH doesn't) then I would enforce going out of the rotor disc to the side. If you go out the front on a 76, you really do run the risk of a major headache!
After 4 odd years wrenching on the 139, I much prefer working on them to working on the 412. Less to do, and easier to work on. Mechanically they are a pretty simple, robust helicopter. Electrically they can be a challenge, but once any bugs from the factory are ironed out, they tend to pretty good machines.