PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My Story!
Thread: My Story!
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2009, 18:45
Sky Scratcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Story!

(With regards to the numerous however similar reply’s concerning the pilot profession).

I myself am currently a ‘starry eyed wanabe’ with little more than 30 hours experience on a Piper PA28 (still working towards the PPL). Have recently finished school after undertaking my a-levels and have been predicted 3 A’s. These grades would inevitably open up various ‘well-respected/paid’ jobs within society which have been highlighted and expressed by my parents. However one career is for me and one career is what I see and want to do for the rest of my life, Flying (to the disapproval of my parents for reasons I will explain below).

My dad is friendly with a few pilots as some live around the area. As they are aware I am keen to embark on this career, they are constantly updating me on he current climate within the industry and basically the dissatisfaction many of them can’t help but feel having pursued the career.

They are constantly complaining about the hours and unnecessary criticism they receive from crusty captains etc. Few of them fly for different airlines but seem to share the same problems. My dad is becoming increasingly impatient with my decision to pursue the career as he is aware the effort and money involved in receiving your wings is not always rewarded in terms of a job.

I am not naïve in the sense that I will attend an FTO, obtain a frozen ATPL and be employed by a European airliner shortly after graduation. I am aware there is a sheer lot of effort involved in finding an airline willing to interview let alone give you a job. I have been accepted to OAA for the APP course and have an assessment arranged with Cabair for the Fist Officer Direct course and will arrange one with Jerez and CTC but can’t help but wonder am I wasting my money.

I am now hesitant for the first time ever on pursuing this career as the pilots around my area only seem to express the cons and stresses involved with flying. I log on pprune in the hunt for some positive feedback from hopefuls currently in the search for a job or pilots currently in employment to outweigh the cons expressed by the pilots I know. However this information on pprune is as frequent as an airline job.

My dad wants me to consider dentistry and I have always been hesitant but know I find myself searching university entry requirements for dentistry because there doesn’t seem to be a risk with the occupation and they seem to live a lavish stress free (in comparison to pilots) lifestyle.

I just don’t want to waste the better part of 70K on a career that doesn’t guarantee a job and is constantly being slated by wanabe’s and pilots. Is it really worth it or am I just setting myself up for a major disappointment and financial disaster?