Old 2nd Jun 2009, 10:49
DADDY-OH!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tarman
Well said.

Ivanbogus
Bollocks!

Poison
Thanks for that, so the aircraft is pretty much in 'MECH BACK UP' from the start of 'ELEC EMERG CONFIG.?'

Could a reversion to 'ELEC EMERG CONFIG' with a subsequent inability for the reinstatement of electrical services via the various available emergency back up generators be possible if there was also an 'ELECTRICAL SMOKE' problem that the crew were already dealing with?

I'm not trying to play Devil's Advocate here, Poison, but as a pilot with 20 years service under my belt & over 11,000 hours experience with 9,000 hours on B757/767 & A330/340 aircraft, I can't help but notice similarities with the SwissAir MD-11 crash i.e. Kapton wiring (common to both types)- 'Short Circuit' (reported by ACARS type system)- Loss of all electrics (would lead to our agreed 'Control Problem)'- ELEC EMERG CONFIG (specific to Airbus aircraft)- all for the crew to deal with at FL410, over the Atlantic at night in a violent storm.

I agree with you, a control problem leading to total loss of control with 2 serviceable engines seems the most likely but it's how you get to the 'Control Problem' I'm concerned about.

Even if it was what 'Capt Moody' seems to keep coming back to, the on board (electrical) fire with an attempted controlled ditching scenario, you can't dismiss that this A330 could have been fitted with Kapton wiring (the ones I flew certainly were) as was the Swiss' MD-11. And I think we (pilots as opposed to 'armchair flyers') have all seen on our CRM courses what the flight deck on that doomed MD-11 was like.

I hope to God the investigators get something out of this.

PM me if you don't want to continue this discussion in public.

Cheers.