PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rescue choppers in the UK
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2009, 08:22
Turkeyslapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Oz system

Yes, Australia does have a system that works for us being the combined SAR/EMS model with medium twins, however we also have very different operating environments and needs.

I don't want to knock the dedication, professionalism and enthusiam of the guys in the Australian SAR/EMS community whom do a fantastic job, but I think when we talk about a pure SAR capability we would be a little bit short when compared to the whinging poms - look at the resources that are thrown at SAR and the environment they operate in over there.

How many SAR/EMS operators in oz can fly 150 nm off shore at night in crap weather, perform a rescue off a small yacht or fishing vessel and be back for tea and medals and how often do we really even need to do it? I don't think you could justify the huge cost of having several SAR bases equipped with big shiney aircraft when you compare it to the amount of long distance off shore night rescues that are needed - thats what the Navy can do. I guess though up there in the North things are very different.

We have a cost effective system that works, but I would almost say that we are good jacks of all trades but masters of none, again I am not trying to be disrespectful but thats what our types of operations call for. I don't think we can compare our apples with the poms oranges

Anyway, my humble opinion.

Turkey