PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France A330-200 missing
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2009, 07:05
Almag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captain Richard Moody of British Airways...

Former BA captain Eric Moody said a twin-engine accident was inevitable
(quote from the sky.com news website)

Someone needs to have serious words with this "airline professional" as the facts of this accident are still unknown, but EVERYTHING at the moment indicates an electrical short circuit, hence if this "captain" has any knowledge of Airbus, he would know this same scenario could happen to the A340 and A380 both 4 engined aircraft! Please "captain" Moody refrain from any suggestive comments about 2 engined aircraft until all the facts are known. This is very unprofessional behaviour suggests now that twin engine ETOPS operations are responsible for this accident, whilst it could still have NOTHING TO DO with twin engine operations.
We could instead also argue the safety of commercial fly-by-wire aircraft! Unlike our military counterparts, we don't have the option of escape when things go horribly wrong..........

When the 330 suffers complete electrical failure from the generators, a ram air turbine would deploy and provide electrics in an electrical emergency configuration wich powers mainly essential instruments on the captains side and other essential electrical equipment, like computers.

Furthermore if the ram generator also would be unavailable flight on batteries only would be possible, since I'm not an 330 pilot. I don't know how long these would have to last for.

As a fly-by-wire aircraft (A320/330/340/380), the 330 relies on it's computers to control the flight control surfaces... with a complete electrical failure, there is a last resort: mechanical backup, wich gives the pilot control of the rudder and the horizontal stabilizer. This is designed to make it possible for the pilots to fly straight and level, TO RECOVER THE FAILED COMPUTERS. Mechanical backup is not designed to fly and navigate the aircraft. Whilst possible, it is hard to do even in still air.

The scenario mentioned, suggests the 330 ended up in heavy turbulence and the reports also suggest a lightning strike, that caused short circuit of electrical systems. This Indicates that flight AF447 ended up in a CB. In the possible scenario of the aircraft ending up with no electrics, flying on mechanical backup, in the severe turbulence of a CB the poor pilots wouldn't have had a fighting chance to regain control over the aircraft...

A scenario I've always mentioned (always waived off by trainers and experienced Airbus pilots and of course statistics as a very very unlikely event) and I as an Airbus pilot have been scared of ever since I've transferred from Boeing aircraft...

My deepest sympathy goes out the the crew, passengers and friends and relatives. Let's hope that the flight crew did manage to regain control of the aircraft and managed to ditch safely somewhere on the atlantic.