PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France A330-200 missing
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2009, 05:25
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would have to be a pretty severe event for an aircraft to breakup from turbulence. After spending most of my time flying in the tropics during wet season buildups and storms I have a fairly good idea of what an aircraft can handle. From flying around in these conditions in single engine Cessna 210 type aircraft to operating in the soup with no weather radar fitted flying BE58 and PA31 single pilot I.F.R. Now I fly multi engine turbine aircraft multi crew at fight levels quite often in the middle of it. I think we should give the aircraft more credit for being most capable in these types of conditions.

If its an electric fault, I would assume that would be because the generators were not providing current which makes me wonder in turn if the donks were turning the generators to supply the current. The biggest hazard around severe weather is not in my opinion lightning or turbulence for that matter but severe airframe icing and hail, as attested by recent events in the states and double engine failures in the past.

Whatever the cause, my thoughts are with the family's of not only those involved in the accident, but those of every aviation family with a partner and rug rats at home. We as an industry do not need something like this, especially now. I just hope the victims families get the closure they deserve and this whole affair does not become a media circus as attested by swine flu and the GFC.

GG