PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France A330-200 missing
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2009, 03:17
Mad (Flt) Scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor
I wonder whether the ELT signals will ever be picked up from the ocean's depth? Perhaps it would be a good idea for ELTs in the future to also have an automatic flotation device so that at least the crash area over a water body can be localised.
Like this for example?

Automatic/Portable ELT with float free capability
That seems to be a marine one, I think, but I seem to recall reading of at least one air version with similar capability. The difficulty being to assure it'll be able to float out of what might be a seriously compromised structure. Also, in the event of a break-up midair, I'm not sure an ELT would necessarily survive the fall from x thousand feet and still be float-capable.

edit

OK, here's an Aviation ELT of type AD - Automatic Deployable

The CPI-406 121.5 MHz/406 MHz Deployable Emergency Locator Transmitte(ELT) system .....The electronics are packaged within a crash survivable Beacon Airfoil Unit (BAU) that is qualified and certified to CAA, TCA and FAA standards.

The BAU separates from the aircraft at the onset of an incident, thereby escaping the devastating effects of the crash. .... In addition, the BAU floats indefinitely, providing superior survivability and localization for both aircraft and crew should the crash occur over water.
Now that's a helicopter version, but I'm sure there are fixed wing types too.

Last edited by Mad (Flt) Scientist; 2nd Jun 2009 at 03:27.