PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GB Rules - OK?
Thread: GB Rules - OK?
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2002, 21:52
CapedCrewsAider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Land ASAP;

BA pilots cost considerably more to employ than GB Airways pilots. This is fact. The Salaries may be not too far apart but your Hourly Flying rate, allowances and most importantly company pension contributions mean you cost BA in excess of £10,000 p.a. more than GB pays for iys pilots. Multiply this by say 200 pilots and that is £2 million off the bottom line. Note; GB pilots have a low company contribution money purchase pension scheme.

You are partly right this is not the ONLY reason BA loses money, but it is the reason it loses £2million more than it would if it payed market rate. Multiply this sort of excess cost throughout the entire BA structure and then you start to see why BA shorthaul cannot make money.

Mr ASAP can you list the routes BA has 'donated' to GB. The only routes GB operates that BA did are those 5 routes BA would have let lapse if GB had not picked them up. There is no 'donation' just a shedding of loss making routes. If GB had not picked them up someone else would have. If another company, EasyJet or GO or Iberia or TAP had picked them up, how much would BA have recieved in franchise, handling fees etc etc? 3 of these routes are allegedly marginal or loss making for GB. The other 2 BA did and would still lose money on. BAs management could not affiord to take them back. These routes would add to BAs losses considerably. Are you suggesting the tens of millions GB pays BA every year is a 'donation'.

As I said please examine the GB network and tell us all which routes are rightfully yours.

If you cannot understand the GB pilots attitude, loyalty etc . I would suggest it is because many have worked for Laker, Dan-Air, Air Europe, AB, Debonnair etc etc and know the 'real politik' of the airline industry - Airline owners are in it to make a profit. If they make a profit they stay in business. If they stay in business they employ pilots.

Airlines are not an employment scheme for pilots. I would love top world rate for the job. However I realise that this can only be achieved if the company makes enough money to pay it. Until then I will settle for a fair deal, and some job security.

With regards harmony between CCs:

Why did the GB CC find out about S'CRAP by accident.
Why do BA pilots feel they are entitled to routes BA never flew -ever.
Why do want to change GB pilots terms and conditions. They do not want to change yours?

P.S. I am told GB is recruiting if you feel the grass is greener and you have nothing to lose please apply.
P.P.S GB has lost dozens of pilots to B.A. over the last few years. With more leaving soon.