PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2009, 01:27
kookabat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cliff,
I see you spent some time at Bottesford. On my recent trip to the UK, chasing the history of a relative who was a 467 Sqn navigator, I dropped in to visit. Though my relative was not posted there himself, the Squadron was at Bottesford before they moved to Waddington.

Here are some photos of Bottesford today.

First, an aerial photo:

The site is now Roseland Business Park and there are many diverse companies operating out of its old buildings. I was shown around by the company secretary who is deeply interested in the history of the field.

View of the airfield from the Tower:

This map was discovered when the tower was being restored, 20 or so years ago. It's now hanging inside:

Roselands previously used the tower for their company offices, but recently built a new one closer to the entrance to the site. They modelled it on the existing tower at Archerfield in Queensland, Australia.

Finally, this building is close to the new tower, and will hopefully be restored for further offices. At the moment it's full of asbestos. It's believed to have been an intelligence or ops block of some description:

I visited some 14 wartime airfields in my time away... all have their own atmosphere. I'll add more photos as they become relevant...

Adam