PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The problem with this industry is ?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2009, 00:40
BongleBear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

the real problem here is that people believe all the rubbish they hear about ryan and easy.

Factor in the demands on homelife, the physical burden of jet lag and fatigue and the possibility that you may one day face a life threatening situation and it seems to me that the likes of Easy and Ryan paying pilots £1000 a month on a 6 month contract with no job security, pension, holiday or sick pay is beyond a joke it is bordering on criminal. I have no idea what they pay their cabin staff but if that's what they pay their pilots I dread to think.

"homelife" -
ryanair 5/4 roster, easy 5/4,5/3 - best roster pattern in the industry, no-one can argue with that. it is worth its weight in gold. if you have a family then you will want to be home every night with your children

"the physical burden of jet lag and fatigue" -
jet lag? longest sectors with ryr is around 4.5 hours. ezy may be slightly more having taken on some gb sectors. fatigue? some long days yes, but then still considerably less when compared to the fatigue from long/medium haul ops.

"Easy and Ryan paying pilots £1000 a month on a 6 month contract with no job security" -
can't speak for ezy pilots but all my mates with ryr take home between 3-4k a month as f/o's. 6 month contract? never heard of one. job security? recently paddypower.com issued odds on the next airline going bust. ryanair were level with air france, ba and lufthansa with the longest odds. bet your airline had shorter odds.

"no pension, holiday or sick pay is beyond a joke it is bordering on criminal" -
i have a £5000 matched pension contribution per annum. one whole month off per year (july this year, paid, can't wait thank you very much) plus 10 days paid leave available as adhoc. one of my friends had 4 months off last year sick and was paid throughout that period.

"I have no idea what they pay their cabin staff but if that's what they pay their pilots I dread to think." -
your comments on cabin crew are a little mixed up. i'm not sure if you are familiar with the salaries of different airlines, but the two "locos" you mentioned actually pay better than a few of the large airlines. have you ever spoken to a virgin cabin crew? no, because sadly they're probably busy at their second job.

Anybody else have any views on this? Has the market gone mad? Do the public realise what is going on?
yes i have a view. it's a shame, but that's the way the market is. the public probably do realise what is going on, but, no. they don't care. same way i'm sure you don't care if i get a bus ticket cheaper due to reasons behind the scenes.

Do they care that wages in such a safety critical industry are being pushed so low with the commensurate risk that the calibre of recruits may indeed have fallen? If the merchant banks can make the claim that they have to pay high salaries to attract the best does the same not apply to aviation?
again, it would appear they don't care. look at ryr's pax loads over the last 5 years. finally, you have alot to learn about what your atpl means and what supply and demand is. if you've got a license, you can be employed to fly a plane. if there's lots of you and demand is low then you can forget your £150,000 per annum salary.

not quite sure whether you're having a laugh trying to wind people up, spreading rumours or you're new to the right hand seat and have been fed this by one of those captains who wishes it were all true so he'd have a reason to moan about low cost ops... but whichever of the above is true, your post is unfounded rubbish.

I'm a relatively new entrant to flying though have worked in the industry for some 15 years and have family connection to the industry going back 45 years.
we all wish it were still the glory days, but people like you have to face up to it - passengers just don't get dressed up in their sunday best to travel by air anymore.