PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Low Fuel at LHR
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2002, 17:45
MTOW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fly into Heathrow relatively regularly. For those who don’t, two points may be of interest before you start hanging anyone out to dry:. .(1) The British CAA, (at the major London airports at least), do not recognise the term ‘fuel emergency’ – (ie, if you’re running short of fuel coming into LHR, you divert to your nominated alternate at or before you reach your min divert fuel – end of story. ATC are not interested in changing the approach sequence in what must be one of busiest terminal areas in the world unless it is for an aircraft with a genuine emergency. If that ‘genuine’ emergency is a shortage of fuel, you declare a Mayday, get the priority to land that this affords you, and you and your company can then explain to the British CAA the circumstances that led you into the emergency situation – [and take your licence with you, ’cos you might be required to leave it with the CAA when they’ve finished interviewing you].) . .(2) The term ‘no holding’ when approaching to land at Heathrow actually means ‘no more than 20 minutes of holding is expected’. (This not some airey fairy rule of thumb gained from local knowledge, but information clearly written in black and white in AIC 28/1993 (Pink 77) dated 4 March 93.). .. .With those two points in mind, and adding favourable weather conditions that allow the nomination of Heathrow’s second runway as an alternate, an aircraft can quite legally cross over threshold (note the emphasis) with as little as its Final Reserve fuel in the tanks, which for a jet is 30 minutes of fuel at 1500’ based upon the expected landing weight. In a 74-4, (I don’t fly them, and I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m too far wrong), I’d be guessing that that figure would be in the order of 5 to 6 tonnes.. .. .I think any action that is to be taken against the pilot concerned – that’s if he broke any rules, which has not been definitely established yet – is up to the CAA and Singapore Airlines management, and not us in this very public forum.