PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The problem with this industry is ?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2009, 23:37
wheelie my boeing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mona lot,
I fail to see how flying with someone with or without a uni degree makes any difference. Going to uni doesn't mean you know how to handle responsibility, and it certainly doesn't mean you are a good pilot! Considering how much money it costs you to go to university, it is far wiser to save that money and do something else which might benefit your career instead of spending a fortune and at the same time not earning properly.

To say that the job of an airline pilot is equal to that of a bus driver shows your complete lack of knowledge - not to mention that bus drivers don't need £50000 or £100000 set aside to train!!! The decisions made on a day to day basis by pilots can be very complex, in all honesty my guess is the decisions we make are more complex than those made by bus drivers!

The biggest problem is that very few airlines pay well at the beginning and with the current situation of people getting loans to pay for training they then find themselves struggling to pay back the money they have borrowed. People need to appreciate that if they are going to spend 75k on a course, they will probably need another 25k or more to live on whilst they are training AND they need to consider the possibility of not getting a job straight out of training.
Then they need to remember that no matter what they earn, they will spend more than half of every year working for nothing (it goes in tax). Add up what goes on car tax, income tax, council tax, VAT.... List goes on and on and on. So what you are actually left with for yourself is a small amount of what you have earned. With that small amount left over, are you able to pay for rent, food, petrol, AND pay back a massive loan?