PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)
Old 1st Jun 2009, 08:15
Mikehotel152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smith,

While I don't agree that it's entirely fair, I think your latest post articulates your views more diplomatically that the first one!

Nevertheless, many would find your point about not wishing to fly with pilots bearing mountains of debt, somewhat odd. For many years pilots have been joining legacy carriers and turboprop operators alike after graduating from integrated FTOs costing over £50,000. Inexperience and stress are undoubtedly dangerous, but having a job and being paid enough to make your loan payments is a great tonic!

It is a career many of us are starting. Whatever the unsubstantiated rumours about the scrapheap on 500 hours, I think most cadets would not hesitate to take the 500 hours and the possibility of a long term job with Ryanair over unemployment with no means to repay their stressful debt.

I'm pleased that your mate finally got the job he wanted in the Legal industry. He is a case in point. Tenacity and sacrifice are two valuable characteristics and your mate's story is echoed in the lives of many 'wannabe' pilots who are chasing every opportunity to get on the first step of the career ladder. But the legal profession is a different kettle of fish. Your mate's qualifications didn't expire after a year or so and his debt wasn't as high as that carried by pilots.

But talking about terms and conditions in other industries, the career path for a lawyer is typically:

A-Levels - free but no earnings.
Degree - £15,000 debt.
Law School - £10,000 debt.
Similar challenge getting a training contract as getting a first job in aviation, followed by:
Trainee Solicitor (1st year) - £12,000 pay.
Trainee Solicitor (2nd year) - £13,500 pay.
Newly qualified Solicitor - £21,000 pay.
After 3 years and charging £150 per hour to clients - £30,000 pay.

Of course, your mate may be working in the City of London earning a lot more than your typical High Street lawyer. That said, all lawyers are trained to the same standards and, except for those who have rich parents, all make the same financial sacrifices. With the global slowdown, it's harder than ever to get into the legal profession, but the costs of doing so are higher than the example I give above. Lawyers and pilots actually face a similarly crppy start to their careers. More experienced lawyers don't spend their time denigrating wannabe lawyers!

MVE - Nobody said working for Ryanair was the 'dream', but making a start in the industry is. But thanks for your constructive comments. Slating Ryanair is easy, getting a job in Aviation isn't.