PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Performance
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2009, 01:52
seejonfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel Hello all! Holy cow muscle relaxants are wild!

Well since last post live for me has been wild...had to stop taking muscle relaxant doc prescribed because it really knocked me for a loop!

As promised here's some food for thought:

Sample questions and answer/explanation
1-Of the answers given D is correct. The second segment A is usually but not always most limiting.

2-Of the answers given D is correct. In addition to differences in allowable height of obstacles the other significant difference is STOPWAY must be able to support the weight of the aircraft during the stopping manuver.

Other Questions
3-B the least

4-D C is almost correct however as it, and none of the other possible answers, does not include obstacle data D is correct.

5-D more flaps will shorten take-off roll but also lessen climb gradient

6-B if you disagree I'd love to hear why

7-D Remember climb is determined by how much thrust is available in excess of that required to maintain level flight.

8-D I've seen this several times where parallel runways have different take-off weights for a given aircraft because of the difference in the obstacle sets.

9-A Although you do see this occassionally fom a strictly engineering perspective. Thanks to the Dry Check you should never see results that allow this to happen.

10-B Due to differences in how vendors select obstacle data to be reported and data sources there can be pronounced differences in data for the same airport from diffferent vendors.

11-A but perhaps not for the reason(s) you think. I've seen engineering analysis for the B757 (forgot engines used) where you could actually get better weights at reduced thrust off of a wet runway because with lower thrust there was a lower VMCG. But the dry check eliminated this from results sent to customer...but sure had us scratching our heads until we ran the problem with an engineering output!

12-C Most performance data testing is done around a range of V1s but regardless of the actual speed the aircraft (under FAR and most certification schemes) must be kept within 35 feet of the centerline without using nosewheel steering.

13-B Actually it depends upon the AFM you purchase. There are differences between all of the regulatory schemes which can result in different weights and speeds for the same aircraft/engine/brake combo.

14-A As several folks have commented, sometimes all you need is to pay more to get heavier weights!

Please feel free to comment on here or send me a personal e-mail. Hope this has stirred some thought!

Jon