PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Griffins In Akrotiri
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2002, 16:43
[email protected]

Received 646 Likes on 284 Posts
Sloppy, the crab is not back in his box or off his high horse - as usual the AAC (which I presume you are a member of) chose to use this forum to have a go at the RAF. I have extensive experience in both camps and whilst there are some very professional aviators in the AAC, the majority of pilots, be they SNCOs or officers have a greatly over-inflated opinion of their own abilities. I have lost count of the times I have heard how an AAC Cpl pilot is the equal of a Flt Lt in terms of skill and professionalism and I have one word on that matter - boll8ks.
The input standard to training is lower (lower scores required on aptitude tests) the training itself, post DHFS, is vastly inferior (partly due to poor manning and terrible serviceability coupled with an urgent need to put bums on seats), the chop rate through training is low (because of the need to put bums on seats) and the number of flying hours available on the Sqns is pitiful (with the probable exception of 5 Regt). If you are given the right people, the right training and the right equipment you can be capable of operating in extreme environments but the AAC has few of the former, vague ideas about the second and none of the last (AH 64 might change things a bit but I won't hold my breath).