PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More Swissport Redundancies??
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2009, 19:38
call100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greuzi
Call 100

Please save me the time and identify which of the 4 points I mentioned is incorrect?

Alternatively you might want to confirm they are all accurate, current and not 10 years out of date at all
Certainly...Unions do safeguard jobs...Some at BHX are at the moment grateful to the TU to mention but one. Look at Honda and Nissan.....etc. etc.
Donations to Political parties are only payable from the Political fund that members can opt out of.
The Unions don't 'Sell' any perks that an employer provides. Like any large organisation it gains discounts from the likes of insurance companies etc that it offers to members.
Finally the salary question. The answer is of course that the full time officials are paid the wage commensurate with their level of responsibility. Just as any other large organisation. For regional reps a car is essential. They can be responsible for up to 200 companies. (Vauxhall Vectra as a matter of interest)
Your points were not borne of research they are just generalities. We could all put down such generalities aimed at the MD's and boards of most large companies. The problem is that in doing that it undermines all the hard work done on the ground by everyone else.
I've never seen, for instance, an MD who was worth the money they are paid.
So by that token I also don't think that the National Union Leaders are worth the money they are paid. Thankfully though, most of the work is done by hard working regional full time officials and the shop stewards on the ground. This is the reality of the TU not your Daily Mail observations.
A work force will always be better off in a union than out of it. No strike can be ordered, it must be voted for secretly and scrutinised independently.
As I said your views are way out of date. Don't take Woodly and Simpson shouting on the TV to be the Union.......Look at the local work...
I don't suppose I ever will change your views just as you will have no effect on mine. It would be a bad world if we all thought exactly alike.