PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental 737 Off Runway at DEN
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2009, 18:19
Robert Campbell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crosswind Technique

I learned in taildraggers and continue to fly them. The x-wind techniques we learned in the Cub, DC-3 and Beech-18 won't work in certain modern jets because dragging an engine pod is a real possibility.

As for differential power, I used it a lot in the DC-3 and Beech-18. Below 100 kts. IAS there was no danger of back-loading an engine, so in strong x-winds I would retard the downwind throttle and fly the approach with the upwind engine. Sometimes this saved wear and tear on my leg because I didn't need to hold a lot of rudder. Other times it required rudder, engine and a higher than normal touchdown speeds to maintain rudder effectiveness. Landings at LAX during strong Santa Ana winds were a lot of fun.

In gusty conditions, unlike jets, we had almost instantaneous thrust when needed from the retarded engine.

The main landing gear was also in line with the props, so there was no worry about dragging a prop.

Different time; different animals.

I do remember one beautiful landing at LGA while riding in an AA 722. The Captain set her down firmly but smoothly on the right main only with the wing tip about two feet off the ground after a very rough approach. Again, no engine pods to worry about.