PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI
Thread: BMI
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2009, 13:23
Euroboy39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question regarding how BMI would fit into the Lufthansa group. Assuming that LH is forced to buy the shares in BMI, then I just can't see how the current BMI route network would fit into the enlarged company. If BMI was taken over by Virgin or BA, then its Middle East, African and Central Asian flights would allow for connection from the USA and LHR would be a suitable hub.

Under LH ownership, LHR would represent the most western hub in Europe. It would be silly to transit passengers from Germany, Scandinavia and southern Europe back to London to connect to their eastern or southern flights on BMI....it would be far more logical to leave this area to OS, who already have experience in some of these markets (especially the CIS)....this leaves the question, what would LH do with the BMI route network? It's not as if the brand has much recognition in the Americas (where LHR is best suited to serve, georgraphically speaking). What are your thoughts?

This is why I think it's a real shame that BMI isn't taken-over or linked in some way with BA or Virgin, who, in my opinion, are far better fits. Even Air-France-KLM would represent a better partner.