PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DRAFT NFRM 0814OS. Broadcasts by pilots at non controlled airports.
Old 31st May 2009, 11:34
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Leadsled,

there are not legions of pilots out there who want to fly around "no radio", this is all a myth, and all the research shows it is a myth.
I've done a search of the Ambidji report for NORDO. From that, it appears they didn't make any attempt to find out if there were any NORDO aircraft in their survey. Aircraft that didn't participate on the airwaves, yes, but NORDO?

there is a demonstrated 96-98% compliance with radio calls at all CTAF/CTAF(R) for all aircraft, not just with those with a radio.
"Not just those with a radio"?. I didn't realise that NORDO aircraft could make radio calls.

So, from the numbers, the Ambidji report emphatically indicates that CTAF (R)s improved compliance rates by 2%. 2%!! And you are willing to ignore that? 96% may be near enough for you, but the 100+ punters down the back would probably be a little more concerned with the odds, considering most of the design safety standards for the rest of "the system" require failure chances in the order of 0.001% or less, I believe. If mandating radio carriage and use made only another one % difference, that would be worthwhile.

Which brings me back to my question; No, you haven't answered (no . What is the big issue with mandating radio? It can only be because you want to operate no-radio! Yes or No?

Tootle pip!

I do most sincerely recommend you read the proposed radio requirements in CARs 166 NFRM.
Been looking for it all day. Can't find it. Got a link?