PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expat Captains in SIA..!!
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2009, 09:49
777vs330

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boeingdream787 (Yrs not bad too.)
Guess we posted almost at the same time.

Now the same statement over and over again that we hear very often, quote: I am quite certain that if we don't accept Cnpl,then expat AND local heads will roll....!!! Unquote

Please read my points on the nature of how this CNPL is introduced. As I have mentioned, for me, it doesn't affect me anymore. However I do think it's suspicious that they just want 3 days CNPL as and when they deem fit. And NOT wanting any other leeway of managing the cost, do you still believe that it's purely to save expat pilots' jobs? I for once totally did not think so and had started preparing myself well before, since I'm well aware that my contract ends 3rd quarter 09. I was lucky, and got away with another job early and hopefully keeps me busy for next couple of years.

As for the strong expats' voice, IT IS strong here in SIA without a doubt. I do not think we'd have any similar chance of doing the same in most other flag carriers that hire expats. And as expats, somehow in SQ, we are less fit to handle downturns. And to think that ALPAS actually has a say, and that the management will resume contract renewal if ALPAS accept 3 days CNPL; it's really a joke. I may have not be in the company for too long. But I don't need too much time to figure this one out, they (HR) will do exactly how they want it, and that's the bottom line.

As said earlier, the fact is even if ALPAS accepts 3 days CNPL, would you dare hold your breath and say nothing else will come along? Retrenchment list has been prepared right from the first sign of financial crisis, and I have no doubt when the season is right, the spring cleaning will commence.