PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Firefox 3.0.10 problem" You call that a problem?
Old 31st May 2009, 05:24
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
curiouser and curiouser

THIS IS FOR GENERAL INTEREST ONLY. I'VE BEEN INSTALLING EVERYTHING AGAIN...BE GOOD PRACTICE FOR WIN 7. BUT YOU JUST MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN WHAT HAPPENED IF HAVING SIMILAR PROBLEMS.

The newer drive was not in use when it lost its drive D:. Called from the BIOS set up, the older drive was in use though one can see the other (miss labeled) drives in Explorer. They can be copied to for back up etc, so are vulnerable.

I ended up formatting D: in the newer drive. I then downloaded a new version of FF into an appropriate directory in that drive, more to test it than anything. I copied this file to the other physical drive and then booted from that. I then installed FF while in that drive. All worked seamlessly. However, there's always an However.

When I removed the old FF from the serviceable physical drive, I very specifically said YES to removing all the detritus associated with FF. Very specifically the Favorites. Yep, new installation, and an out of date set of Favorites is still there.

Darn, I even looked into the Task Manager and zapped anything that looked like FF or Italian cheese.

You may think this doesn't matter. Introducing the Bookmarks from the other physical drive will overwrite the old one...yes? No. Last time I did it, the F-in' thing showed the old Bookmarks menu with the new one added on the end! It was astonishingly time consuming to zap these in Manage Bookmarks.

None of these things have happened before. Has anyone had anything like this happen, and is it something norty lurking in the depths?

Last edited by Loose rivets; 31st May 2009 at 06:36.